Reading and Redding
Two different men, two different towns
There’s a lot of confusion surrounding how the city of Redding got its name. The historic town of Shasta was named by Major Pierson Barton Reading, who named his gold mining area to a few miles north of Clear Creek. He named this area Reading Springs. By 1849, Reading Springs had become a permanent site for miners, and eventually became the boomtown named Shasta.
Benjamin Bernard Redding was born in Canada in 1824, and when news of the gold rush reached him in 1849, he sailed to California. When he got to California, he spent time doing all kinds of work: mining, clerical work, editing. B.B. Redding was later elected to the California State Assembly from 1853-1854. In 1856 he was elected mayor of Sacramento, and he served as Secretary of State from 1863 to 1867. In 1868 he became the first Central Pacific Railroad land agent, and was the person who bought property so the railroad could be built. In 1872, the area six miles east of Shasta, known as Poverty Flats, was selected to be the site of the northern terminus of the railroad, and along with the terminus, the railroad built a town. In honor of their land agent, they named the town Redding.
In 1874, local legislature moved to change the spelling of the town of Reddiing to Reading, so the town would honor Pierson B. Reading as the founding father of the Shasta area community. However, the railroad, which had been instrumental in the first naming of the town as Redding, refused to recognize the name change, and there was a lot of overall confusion regarding the spelling of the town’s name. As a result of the confusion, by 1880 the name was officially returned to Redding.